Peoria approximella (a moth named in New York for Peoria, IL). Photo of Michigan specimen courtesy Jim Vargo (used with permission).
We decided in January to establish our tentative event schedule for 2021. Given the pandemic, these dates may change (or we may decide to pursue another route). Please check this page for updates. These are listed below. All events start on Saturday at 9 a.m. unless otherwise noted. In the event of inclement weather, we plan to meet the following day (Sunday at 1 p.m. rather than canceling the trip this year). We welcome new members and look forward to meeting you at these events. You can also find us on Meetup this year. [Our Meetup calendar has also been updated with this schedule].
- February 20th will be a Zoom session – Mark DuBois will discuss fossil insects from China and Mongolia. These are compression fossils from Jurassic and Cretaceous times. This meeting will start promptly at 9 a.m. and will be recorded. For questions, you may need to login again as we are using the free version of Zoom. Contact Mark if you would like to listen to the recording of this session.
- March 20th will be focused on the ISU day of insects sessions. Frank Hitchell will give us a preview of his session. This will be done starting at 9 a.m. via Zoom.
- April 18th – we met at Frank’s house and drove to Henry Gleason Nature Preserve (Mason Co.). We moved this event to Sunday. We met at Frank’s house at 1 p.m. For those who wish to meet at the preserve, we arrived at 2 p.m. This page has more information about our trip.
- May 16th – we met at Frank’s house at 12 p.m. and drove to Dixon Waterfowl Refuge (near Hennepin). Some met at the refuge, by the observation tower. This page has more information about our trip (including a video summary).
- June 19th – we will meet at Frank’s house and drive to Dirksen Park (Pekin).
- July 17th – we will meet at Frank’s house (we must leave at 8:20 in order to get to Jubilee Park Observatory by 9 a.m.) Note the main road to the observatory is under construction so we will be taking an alternate route. Frank will not be joining us on this trip. In the event of rain, we will meet at Red Fox Run at Jubilee Park on Sunday at 9 a.m.
- August 21st – we will meet at Frank’s house and drive to the Illinois State Museum (Springfield). We have canceled this trip. See you at the potluck next month.
- September 18th – we will meet at Jubilee Park (probably Red Fox Run) at 5 pm for a picnic and night collecting/ observing of insects.
- October 16th – we will meet at Frank’s house and drive to Singing Woods.
- We do not presently plan to hold events in November and December but our plans may change. Stay tuned.
We are a section of the Peoria Academy of Science (Peoria, Illinois).
Science Treasure Hunt Authorization Code. If you have arrived at this page because you are searching for information as part of the Peoria Academy of Science virtual science treasure hunt, you will need an authorization code to enter on the Science Treasure Hunt site.
Enter the above code as the Authorization Code at the Science Treasure Hunt site to prove that you have done your searching at this site. [Please note that links to the Science Treasure Hunt will open in a new browser tab/ window.]
Feel free to contact us with your questions about central Illinois insects.